Mocktacular Ads – Shaming the body shamers – Part 1
By Natalie Jovanovski
In the last month or so I've noticed what seems an endless array of ridiculously sexist and just downright shameful advertisements that try to make us feel bad about our bodies. My first reaction, of course, is to get really annoyed and chew the ear off of whoever is sitting next to me at the time. But I think I've found a new way to cope with my emotions - THROUGH LIST-MAKING AND COLLECTIVE VENTING (trust me, it’s science!)
So here it is - the first edition of "Mocktacular Ads " from the last two months (in no particular order).
1. "You don't have to look bad when you're exercising. You can wear make-up while you do it!” Did you know that you can wear make-up while you exercise? OMG you should totally be doing it!! Yes, you heard right. I actually read an article yesterday that inferred that a natural face is somehow “bad”, even whilst exercising!" What's next? "Cross-fit and stilettos... a match made in heaven"!
AND, to top it off, you can now purchase a professional gym photoshoot to prove how well your makeup stays on while you do burpees! Perfect!
2. “Your beautiful armpits”. They've run out of body parts to shame, so now they've moved on to armpits. A famous beauty company is now telling women all over the world that we don't need to feel bad about our armpits anymore... I must have missed that train - were we supposed to be feeling bad about our armpits? Your armpits are mostly hidden from the outside world and they don't require much maintenance at all... unless you're hacking at them with sandpaper (if so, please refrain if possible).
3. “BUY OUR WONDER DIET SHAKES” Diet Shakes are still a thing?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're already eating a balanced diet and exercising, what could you possibly do with a ‘diet shake’? Time to let go of the eighties, ‘diet shake’ companies.
4. Ahh yes, the "bottom of the foot" shaming. You know that rough skin at the bottom of your feet? It can be smooth. AND IT SHOULD BE SMOOTH. You'll never impress men with rough skin on the bottom of your feet, because - apparently - men prefer it if you appear as though you don't walk (hence, the smoothness). They like you to just sit there and take care of the bottom of your feet. Are you going to risk missing out on a husband because you shamefully use your feet to walk? I should hope not.
5. A car tyre and a faux-dominatrix walk into a bar... Okay, I have saved the best for last. A car servicing company has decided that the ideal way to advertise TYRES is to put two scantily clad women in a number of dangerous situations, SEXY dangerous situations. These women are wearing dominatrix costumes and wielding power tools in a seductive way (how is that possible?) Tyres, rubber, power tools, dominatrix, get it? Neither do I. I had never felt very comfortable at the mechanics growing up - it may have had something to do with the proudly displayed calendars of naked women on every conceivable surface of the workshop. Now, it seems, I should continue feeling uncomfortable around car service centres. YAAAYYY FEELING UNCOMFORTABLE IS SO FUN AND NOT AT ALL HORRIBLE. I'll service my own car with pieces of stick that I found in my front yard – my car might not appreciate it, but my self-esteem will.
If you have any mocktacular advertisements or articles that you'd like to share, feel free to shame them in the comments section under our Facebook post! Shame them before they try to shame you. Go on, treat yourself!